“I’m running for reelection because I believe in the future of Knox County. The last few years were incredibly tough on our kids and educators, but we have an opportunity to build a world-class school district to ensure that every child is prepared for the future.”
When I was elected to the Knox County School Board in the fall of 2020, I said I would ensure that parents’ voices were heard. While we didn’t fully appreciate how important that would be, I have worked hard to honor that commitment every day. Parents are an essential part in making sure education is great in Knox County.
I’m running for reelection because I believe in the future of Knox County. The last few years were incredibly tough on our kids and educators, but we have an opportunity to build a world-class school district to ensure that every child is prepared for the future.
In a short period of time, we have meaningfully increased teacher pay by 8%, made an historic investment in education, reimagined high school through a community led process, approved the construction of a new elementary school and an expansion of Hardin Valley Academy to support our growing community, and appointed a new superintendent who will lead us into the future.
I started my service in education volunteering in our schools. Serving first as a room mom and eventually as President of our PTO. I’ve worked alongside our teachers and administrators and seen their passion and skills – as well as the obstacles they face every day. As a parent of children currently in the school system, I want to ensure that parents’ voices are heard in that process.
From Karns and Hardin Valley to Ball Camp and Amherst to Pleasant Ridge and Norwood, District 6 has wonderful schools. I am asking for your vote so I can work to support and strengthen them and ensure that every child gets a first-class education.
A Record of Success
In less than two years of service on the School Board, Betsy has been a leader. When we needed her most, she was there for students, parents, and teachers. Her leadership was recognized in April when she was named PTA’s Outstanding School Board Member 2021-2022 for the State of Tennessee.
- A relentless advocate for parents’ rights to decide the best path for their child on masks and learning environment
- Fought for our children to have as many normal school activities as possible including sporting events, field trips, safety patrol, field day, holiday parties
- Historic increase in investments in education
- An 8% increase of teachers’ salaries
- Fought for the construction of a new elementary school and the expansion of Hardin Valley Academy to support our growing community
- Selected to serve on the search committee for a new superintendent who will lead us into the future
- Supported School Resource Officers—when many politicians and activists wanted to take School Resource Officers out of our schools, Betsy stood up to ensure that every school and every student is protected
- Partnered with Mayor Glenn Jacobs and the Knox County Education Foundation to lead One Book Read City, a countywide early literary program which provided over 30,000 students and teachers grades K-5 the same book along with a curriculum and a countywide scavenger hunt with over 100 locations
- Served on the Ford Next Generation committee to reimagine the high school experience
- Supported our PTA’s and PTO’s
- Served on the Joint Education Committee with County Commission
- Started the Lunch and Learn Education Series to get community and school leaders together with experts to discuss critical issues facing our schools
Our future is so bright, and I look forward to continuing to serve to make sure we build on all the successes and miracles that our schools perform every day.
We must always remember that our schools are preparing the next generation and the Knox County Schools must be able to adapt to meet the needs of students so they can succeed in the workforce and in life.
Ready To Get Started?
Join me in building on the success of our schools and ensuring that all of our children are prepared for the future.